maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Sorting javadoc output by importance of documentation and length of docs?
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:56:22 GMT

Here are a couple of articles on how the problem can be solved in a
professional way using standard tools.
This allows you to mix Javadoc with other documents in an automated way
to produce a PDF or web site that documents your system.
DITA is an XML_based OASIS standard for producing documents of all
types. I have used it for a manual and for a training methodology study
for a client.

Generate DITA Java API reference documentation using DITADoclet and DITA
API specialization
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-DITAdoclet/

Using Javadoc and XML to Produce API Reference Documentation
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/88d0420f4a7302768e99392f.html

Ron

On 19/11/2014 8:22 AM, James Green wrote:
> If your project contains a large number of classes, perhaps for
> summation purposes you could wrap these up into a higher level project
> with fewer classes that expose the essentials with documentation?
> Another alternative I'm seeing "out there" is a docs folder alongside
> src that holds information for web site publication. Static site
> generators can then kick in during the build and publish. On 16
> November 2014 19:28, Kevin Burton <burton@spinn3r.com> wrote:
>> This is slightly off topic so I apologize. Javadoc is great for the
>> developer but the main problem is that important documents can be
>> hidden in a sea of classes. My Javadoc tends to have say 20-40
>> important documents on the design of a system but the rest of the
>> Javadoc just tends to have an overview. I’d like a way to organize it
>> more as a book, maybe even by the length of the documentation instead
>> of being organized as a table of contents. This way my ops guys and
>> other members of the team can find the documentation they’re looking
>> for and not necessarily how a specific component behaves. --
>> Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com Location: *San Francisco, CA* blog:
>> http://burtonator.wordpress.com … or check out my Google+ profile
>> <https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts>
>> <http://spinn3r.com>

-- Ron Wheeler President Artifact Software Inc email:
rwheeler@artifact-software.com skype: ronaldmwheeler phone:
866-970-2435, ext 102