maven-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Todd <andrew.todd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Why not a forum
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:25:59 GMT
Apache is an independent non-profit dedicated to the dissemination of free
software. The list archives are freely archivable and indexable by anyone
who wants to -- and there are many sites, such as Nabble and MarkMail, who
do. Using email as the primary means of distribution makes it easy for
third parties to do this.

On the other hand, LinkedIn is a for-profit corporation with a walled
garden solution. It's "free" because it forces people to tie themselves
into LinkedIn's system. It can't be easily archived or indexed without
LinkedIn's permission. And if they decide to end the service, we're in
trouble.

There are people like me who will not even create a LinkedIn profile on
principle. I don't like the company's business practices.

In short, the suggestion is anathema to a free software organization. You
might as well tell us to use Facebook as a discussion medium.