maven-users mailing list archives

From Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [nexus-user] Why are alternate repositories so hard to configure
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:31:29 GMT
Hello back :-)

On 4/15/2014 6:50 AM, Peter Lynch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Eric Kolotyluk
> <eric.kolotyluk@gmail.com <mailto:eric.kolotyluk@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have the following
>
>     <repositories>
>     <repository>
>     <id>sonatype</id>
>     <name>Sonatype Maven OSS Repository</name>
>     <releases>
>     <enabled>true</enabled>
>     </releases>
>     <snapshots>
>     <enabled>true</enabled>
>     </snapshots>
>     <url>https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public</url>
>     </repository>
>     </repositories>
>
>     But when I run maven I get
>
>     [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>     org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site (default-site)
>     on project csharp-windows-elevate: Execution default-site of goal
>     org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site failed: Plugin
>     org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3 or one of its
>     dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
>     net.trajano.wagon:wagon-git:jar:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT in apache.snapshots
>     (http://repository.apache.org/snapshots) -> [Help 1]
>
>     /*Why in the world is it looking in
>     http://repository.apache.org/snapshots ???*/
>

> This repository is defined in a pom.xml of a dependency.

Yes, the maven-site-plugin was referencing apache/snapshots in its
<dependencyManagement> section. Yet another tangle with 'dependency hell'

>     So, then I configure nexus to mirror
>     https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public and I add to my
>     settings.xml
>
>       <mirrors>
>         <mirror>
>           <id>nexus</id>
>           <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>
>           <url>http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public</url>
>         </mirror>
>       </mirrors>
>

> Good idea.
>
>     and then I get
>
>     [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>     org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site (default-site)
>     on project csharp-windows-elevate: Execution default-site of goal
>     org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site failed: Plugin
>     org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3 or one of its
>     dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
>     net.trajano.wagon:wagon-git:jar:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT in nexus
>     (http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public) -> [Help 1]
>

> apache-snapshots is not in the public group by default, although it is
> in Nexus as a repository. You can edit the public group members and
> add apache-snapshots as a member.

Taking apache-snapshots offline in my Nexus configuration was one of the
first things I did, but the problem was stemming from maven-site-plugin.

>     I know this to be a lie because when I go through the nexus UI I
>     can clearly see the artifact in question in both the nexus index
>     and storage. However, for some reason, the artifact pom.xml is
>     neither in the index nor storage. When I go to
>     https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/net/trajano/wagon/wagon-git/1.0.1-SNAPSHOT/
>     I can clearly see the pom.xml with the other files that nexus has
>     downloaded. /*Why is nexus refusing to download the pom.xml?*/
>

> Search indexes have nothing to do with an artifact being able to be
> downloaded.
>
> In cases like this, these article may help you diagnose:
>
> https://support.sonatype.com/entries/21437881-Troubleshooting-Artifact-Download-Failures

In my case, I forgot to add sonatype-oss to the public group in Nexus. A
better Nexus GUI would ask the user if they wanted to add a newly
created remote repo to the public group. I have been caught by this
problem more than once, and the diagnostics around the problem are not
very good.