maven-users mailing list archives

From Elliot Metsger <emets...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of MRELEASE-835?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 03:11:55 GMT
I've been using a version of the patch locally, and it's been helpful.

We have a relatively large project, with multiple modules that can be
versioned independently of each other.  Ultimately, these modules get
packaged into a war at release time.  In order to insure that these modules
use the same version of dependencies, they inherit from a parent pom that
contains a huge <dependencyManagement> element; every <dependency> is
defined there (~90 managed SNAPSHOT deps).

So when we perform a release, we need to resolve the SNAPSHOT versions in
the parent pom, and that is where the patch attached to MRELEASE-835 is
quite useful.  We can release the parent pom, and resolve the managed
dependencies.

Things get a little trickier when releasing the descendant modules, because
the check-dependency-snapshots phase will ask you to re-resolve the managed
dependencies from the parent.  So for each sub-module of the parent, you're
potentially answering a lot of versioning prompts - you're re-resolving the
same set of managed dependencies over and over.  Because our sub-modules
can be independently versioned, we have problems using batch mode and
setting the dependencies from system properties.

Maybe we have a not-ideal project structure, or we're missing some best
practices that we could be applying that could make our release process
easier.  But my immediate thought is that it would be nice for the version
maps for managed dependencies to somehow be made available across Project
releases, maybe in the release descriptor, so that you aren't re-prompted
each time.  It would be really nice if we could define the version maps a
priori, using an easier (?) serialization than a Properties file.  I have a
lot of local hacks that I'd be willing to share, if they'd be considered
useful.

-Elliot