maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Bets <ron.b...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory exception when using Maven in ant
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 02:37:36 GMT
Thanks for the speedy response.

I have run across these types of memory exceptions in the past, but given that the build had
been working correctly until I added the Maven <artifact:dependencies/> bit, I naturally
jumped to the conclusion that there was something odd going on.  This was exacerbated when
the ant error log actually identified the <artifact:dependencies/> as the offending
line in the build file.  I'll play around with the memory parameters and see what happens.

Cheers,
Ron

Btw, is there a reference for all parameters supported by <artifact:dependencies/>?
 I have
----- Original Message -----
From: baerrach@gmail.com
To: users@maven.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:19:55 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: OutOfMemory exception when using Maven in ant

> I am trying to incorporate Maven dependency management into my ant build as follows:
[del]
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

This is a Java problem rather than a Maven or Ant one.
It has to do with not enough memory to load all the classes into the
PermGen space.
You can read up about PermGen space to get more of an idea as well
* http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/memleaks-137499.html#gbyuu
* http://java.dzone.com/articles/busting-permgen-myths

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/88235/dealing-with-java-lang-outofmemoryerror-permgen-space-error
for some solutions.

It talks about Tomcat, but the problem occurs in command line Java.
As a workaround use (or large values than 128M if needed)
    -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

Also look at similar XX options at
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/vmoptions-jsp-140102.html