maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code coverage with debug logs: 100% branch coverage not possible?...
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:23:12 GMT
because if you enable ALL then the other side of the if will not be
followed... you need to combine runs with ALL and NONE to get both sides of
the logging branches.

Another point that the "slf4j is the solution" camp misses is sometimes the
log message needs evaluation in order to generate the message. For example
you might want to extract a meaningful string representation out of a
complex data structure... with a @CheckFoNull chain of methods to dance
through. While slf4j and other message formatting saves you a lot of the
cases where an `if (debug) { log }` is needed, it does not and can not
eliminate all cases.

And then there is the final point where you are dealing with a mutable data
structure (this is of more concern with an async logger framework)...

We had a case whereby the logging statements where logging the object in a
state which it could not possibly be in... because the log formatting and
hence toString() evaluation was taking place in a different thread async
(to prevent logging from slowing down the main code path)... so by the time
the log message was being formatted the object state had mutated and from

if (!caller.isAuthenticated()) {
  logger.debug("Starting authentication flow for caller {}", caller);
}
if (StringUtils.isEmpty(caller.getDisplayName) &&
StringUtils.isNotBlank(caller.getCallerId()) {
  logger.debug("Looking up display name of {} using callerId {}", caller,
caller.getCallerId());
  caller.setDisplayName(displayName);
  logger.debug("Set display name of {} to \"{}\" based on caller id
lookup", caller, displayName);
}

 you would get

DEBUG: Starting authentication flow for caller Caller[id=0x67267,
authenticated=true, callerId=+14325551234, displayName="Jim Smith"]
DEBUG: Looking up display name of id=0x67267, authenticated=true,
callerId=+14325551234, displayName="Jim Smith" using callerId +14325551234
DEBUG: Set display name of Caller[id=0x67267, authenticated=true,
callerId=+14325551234, displayName="Jim Smith"] to "Jim Smith" based on
caller id lookup

which from the code should never happen... what you expect is something like

DEBUG: Starting authentication flow for caller Caller[id=0x67267,
authenticated=false, callerId=+14325551234, displayName=null]
DEBUG: Looking up display name of Caller[id=0x67267, authenticated=true,
callerId=+14325551234, displayName=null] using callerId +14325551234
DEBUG: Set display name of Caller[id=0x67267, authenticated=true,
callerId=+14325551234, displayName="Jim Smith"] to "Jim Smith" based on
caller id lookup

But because by the time the DEBUG message was formatted we had mutated the
object state already the logging statements were giving the wrong output...
the fix was to change the code to

if (!caller.isAuthenticated()) {
  if (logger.isDebug()) logger.debug("Starting authentication flow for
caller {}", caller.toString());
}
if (StringUtils.isEmpty(caller.getDisplayName) &&
StringUtils.isNotBlank(caller.getCallerId()) {
  if (logger.isDebug()) logger.debug("Looking up display name of {} using
callerId {}", caller.toString(), caller.getCallerId());
  caller.setDisplayName(displayName);
  if (logger.isDebug()) logger.debug("Set display name of {} to \"{}\"
based on caller id lookup", caller.toString(), displayName);
}

In such cases you actually *have to* wrap the logging statement and force
the .toString() when logging.

What a framework like slf4j and the other message formatting based
frameworks gives you, however, is the default behaviour is lazy toString
and you can add the branches for those cases where you need them.

-Stephen

P.S. this logging example is a rephrase of the actual logging code which
using a home baked framework and I have paraphrased the code somewhat,
since this was actually a state machine... but the same issue can occur in
any multi-threaded code base where you are logging mutable objects and
expecting the log formatter to evaluate the toString()