maven-users mailing list archives

From geoffh <hartnel...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Adding dependency management to parent pom causes errors
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:33:26 GMT
Laird, Barrie

Thanks for taking the time with some useful explanations
I'd like to put more detail into my problem in the hope that you may be able
to spot something I am doing wrong:

I started off with parent and child poms with no dependency management -
along the lines of:

Parent pom (without dependencyManagement)

		<dependencies>
			<dependency>
				<groupId>log4j</groupId>
				<artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
				<version>${log4j-version}</version>
			</dependency>

.
.
.
		</dependencies>

Child pom (without dependencyManagement)

	<dependencies>
			<dependency>
					<groupId>log4j</groupId>
					<artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
					<version>${log4j-version}</version>
			</dependency>
.
.
.
	</dependencies>

As I said, 'mvn clean deploy' completed successfully with no compilation
errors

I then changed the parent and child poms to use dependency management -
along the lines of:

Parent pom (with dependencyManagement)
	<dependencyManagement>
		<dependencies>
			<dependency>
				<groupId>log4j</groupId>
				<artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
				<version>${log4j-version}</version>
			</dependency>

.
.
.
		</dependencies>
	</dependencyManagement>

Child pom (with dependencyManagement)

	<dependencies>
			<dependency>
					<groupId>log4j</groupId>
					<artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
			</dependency>
.
.
.
	</dependencies>

I arranged that each child pom only referenced the dependencies it needed
- with the parent pom having all dependencies required by all children
After that I got the compilation error
Interestingly, I got the same error trace when invoking 'mvn
dependency:analyze'

>The compilation error you're talking about looks like something more
>substantial than a bad dependency--you're getting a compiler error from
>within javac itself.

However,  the compilation error did not occur in the situation without
dependencyManagement
If there is a genuine compilation error, would it be expected to show in
both cases

Is that the correct way to use dependencyManagement ?

Thanks for reading and any help / suggestions
Geoff