maven-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New site content
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:09:07 GMT
Op Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:46:33 +0100 schreef Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>:

> On 3 January 2014 15:17, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like the idea of images, however I would avoid a graph to make
>> something
>> clear for new Maven users.
>> Instead I'd prefer a linear model.
>>

> My first draft did not have the graph at the top... perhaps it would be
> better suited at the bottom ;-)
>

>> I think you should split the current model into pieces:
>>
>> A project model contains:
>> - dependencies
>> - a build plan
>> - other project models ( you can call this the Droste effect[1] )
>>

> I like to think of the project model as not just the root pom.xml but all
> the pom.xml files, so there is only one project model, this should make
> understanding how -pl, -am and -amd switches have their effects

IMO these switches are way too detailed for a 60 sec tutorial. I even
think that a large group of the average Maven users don't know these
switches or use them.

>> - ...
>>
>> There are several build-plans, namely: a build-plan for jar, war, ear,
>> etc.
>> Every build plan has a set of predefined plugins,  which you can adjust
>> (with switches?)
>>

> No there is one and only one build plan. We would have to redefine build
> plan everywhere else to be able to use it like that. There is a lifecycle
> binding for each packaging

Then buildplan is too abstract. With a real world example: the buildplan
for a house and a bike are completely different. Unless you say: you have
a design, some goods, you mix those goods and you have your product.
Not a useful plan IMO.
At least keep the audience in mind: do they need to know the actual
implementation or do they first need to understand the overall process. I
think the latter is more important, even if this conflicts a bit with the
idiom used by experienced Maven users.
What if we call it "build instructions" (per packaging type) ?