maven-users mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven Central Opinion
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 16:32:00 GMT
Read section 7b of the page you link, it addresses your desires
directly. I quote:

You don't have to go through steps 7.a.1. through 7.a.3. if your
artifacts have already been released or if you've generated your
artifacts using something other than Maven.  The steps below allow you
to skip using the maven-release-plugin entirely.  You can either use
the maven-gpg-plugin to sign and deploy your artifacts or upload a
staging bundle.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Tommy Svensson <tommy@natusoft.se> wrote:
> Well, I guess I have my answer, I am alone :-).
>
> Many people are telling me that both the sonatype super pom and SNAPSHOTs are optional.
I obviously have been reading the wrong instructions. This is the instructions I've followed:

>         https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Sonatype+OSS+Maven+Repository+Usage+Guide
>
> Are there better, clearer instructions somewhere else ? One of the "mvn release:*" commands
(dont rember which ) failed if I did not have a SNAPSHOT version and told me the problem was
that I did not have a SNAPSHOT version. So is the above page completely wrong ? Are there
other "mvn release:*" goals to run ?

> I also don't buy the argument that release complexity gives better quality.
>
> Many of the responses to my mail have also indicated that the update of my github repository
is a totally obvious thing. I simply do not accept that. When I update my repository and what
I update it with is my and only my decision! I went around this problem by making a copy repository
before going through the release steps, and then deleted the copy afterwards, keeping my original
intact. It was already in the state I wanted it before releasing to maven central. The only
thing I want to release to maven central is binaries! My repository should not be touched.
So if there is no way around that happening I guess I have released my first and last code
to maven central.

> Anyhow, my question have been answered very clearly.
>
> Tommy
>

> 5 jan 2014 kl. 16:18 skrev Markus Karg <karg@quipsy.de>:
>
>> I uploaded lots of not-even-Mavenized prebuilt JARs to Maven Central and can tell
you that you simply misunderstood these terms as "essential" requirements -- in fact most
of them are only "best practices". You do neither need to have the Sonatype POM, it will just
make things easier, nor do you have to use SNAPSHOTs. You can simply upload a prebuilt JAR
file. The only "hard" requirements are a "good" POM, signing the JAR with GPG, uploading it
to the OSS nexus instance, then closing and releasing it. This it at-most simple and done
in minutes. If you need help, feel free to contact me at markus@headcrashing.eu, I can guide
you.

turned out to be a rather complex procedure.

>> Sonatype puts the following requirements on anyone wanting to submit to maven central:
>>
>> - You are forced to set a Sonatype pom as parent of your project and thus inherit
things you have no control over.
>> - You are forced to have a SNAPSHOT version even if you have no use for such.
>> - You are forced at submission time to select a new version for your software even
if you have no idea if it will be a minor, bugfix or new functionality at this point in time.
>> - Your public repository (github, etc) which you are forced to point out in your
pom are no longer yours to decide over. It will be updated during the submission process.
>> - After running 3 different mvn commands you also need to login to Sonatypes nexus
server and "release" the artifacts before the become available.

>> The idea of the maven repository that has grown larger than maven itself is a completely
brilliant idea. It takes open source to a new level where anyone can just depend on other
open source code and automatically download it on build. This is really good for the open
source world (well, at least the Java/JVM part of it) . The fact that the release process
to this central repository is far too complex, I see as a really great problem, inhibiting
the easy sharing of open source work. I have often found open source tools and frameworks
that are not available in maven central, and that is because not everyone is willing to put
up with this, which now also includes myself. As I see it, either this procedure needs to
be changed to provide a trivial release of binary artifacts without affecting your poms, or
there need to be an alternative open repository providing ease of release, where it is trivial
for anyone to share their binaries for easy access by others. I'm wondering if I'm alone in
this view or if there are others who agree with me ?