maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New logo?
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2014 15:55:48 GMT
On 14 January 2014 15:51, Mark H. Wood <mwood@iupui.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:08:09PM +0000, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> > Putting maven-20 in context, you get:
> >

> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-20-in-context.png
>
> *Very* nice work, but...what does this Native Americans theme have to do
> with "maven"?  Yes, I know, but people *will* ask.  Especially since
> the answer has no connection with what Maven would do for them.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, the Maven landing page exists to sell Maven, not
> the Apache Software Foundation.  A link to the Foundation's landing
> page is quite appropriate and should be easy to find, but that's not
> why people come to this page.  They come because they've heard
> something about Maven and want to know more, or Google gave them a
> link when they asked something about software project management or
> build tools, or because some other project had a "built with Maven"
> link on its page and they're curious.  They'll probably be best
> pleased if, at a glance, they can get some notion of what Maven does.
>
> Possibly that message simply isn't very visual, and the best one can
> do is to select a (formerly) meaningless but unique mascot or abstract
> symbol.  Possibly there is an image that will make people think, "yes!
> that is Maven in action."

The best I have come up with for an image as to what Maven does is

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Tutorial%3A+Maven+in+60+seconds

But that does not a good logo make.

Our current "logo" is just the word "maven" with the 'a' in orange

At least this version, or maven-21 includes the Apache feather... and hints
at us being an Apache project...