maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to deliberately have two dependencies with the same groupid, artifactid, and packaging, but different version?
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:24:13 GMT
I like to consider a G:A as being substitutable along the V access... if
you change the artifact so that it is not substitutable, then you really
need to change the G:A part.

Now substitutable does not mean no breaking API changes... it does mean
that the package name and at least some of the class names are the same.

So a good case in point here is Jackson the JSON serialization library...

There are many versions of Jackson, but when a major breaking change to the
API was required Tatu changed from org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-core-asl to
com.fasterxml.jackson.core:jackson-core and also changed the package name
of the classes.

This was the correct thing to do, IMHO.

They maintained 82 releases of the API without having to refactor in a
breaking way.

The changes that they needed would break the API, leaving no way for
existing code to inter-op

As a result, by changing package name and G:A the two versions can
co-exist...

Now let us consider some other ways that Tatu & Co could have handled this:

* They could have kept the package name the same and changed the G:A. That
would mean that classes in the package name would not be coming from the
same jar file, and so with a security manager enabled the "same jar origin
policy" would mean that at run time you end up getting class conflicts all
over the place as different classloaders resolve the package name from
different jar files depending on which class they reference first and the
order of the jars in the classpath... sounds a lot like hell... let's scrap
that plan

* They could have changed the package name and kept the G:A. That would
mean that any fool* using version ranges could now find that their code
fails to compile. (*only a fool uses version ranges)... that is self
inflicted hell... also dependencyManagement will overrule versions so if
somebody uses a dependencyManagement to force a version that will force a
single version even though the classpath *should* have two versions... plus
how Maven resolves the dependency tree means that it assumes that for any
G:A varying the V gives you substitutable artifacts (and if they don't work
then either `compile` or `test/verify` will fail the build so that's ok)

So the rule of thumb I use is:

* every time you change the package name, change the G:A

* if you are making breaking API changes that are not substitutable, change
the package name

# aside

Is there a use case for dependencies of the same GA but different V?

I think there may be, at least when dealing with non-java resources... and
Java 9 / OSGi provides a use case also.

For example, you may have a legitimate (if crappy) reason to include two
versions of jQuery in your web application... one set of pages may use the
older one during a transition for example.

So in modelVersion 5.0.0, I do think that we should investigate a means of
flagging that certain types of dependency collection require a single
unique version resolved for each GA dependency, while other types of
dependency collection require the set of versions for each GA dependency