maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New site content
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:46:33 GMT
On 3 January 2014 15:17, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like the idea of images, however I would avoid a graph to make something
> clear for new Maven users.
> Instead I'd prefer a linear model.

My first draft did not have the graph at the top... perhaps it would be
better suited at the bottom ;-)

> I think you should split the current model into pieces:
>
> A project model contains:
> - dependencies
> - a build plan
> - other project models ( you can call this the Droste effect[1] )

I like to think of the project model as not just the root pom.xml but all
the pom.xml files, so there is only one project model, this should make
understanding how -pl, -am and -amd switches have their effects

> - ...
>
> There are several build-plans, namely: a build-plan for jar, war, ear, etc.
> Every build plan has a set of predefined plugins,  which you can adjust
> (with switches?)

No there is one and only one build plan. We would have to redefine build
plan everywhere else to be able to use it like that. There is a lifecycle
binding for each packaging

> Now, what does Maven do?
>
> Maven reads the build plan and executes it. Some steps of the build plan
> deliver products ( compiled classes, test results, a package)
>
> I think the reactor might be confusing at this level.

I want the 60sec tutorial to be the grand overview, the next tutorial is a
5 minute one on how a .jar file gets built

Then you have a multi-module webapp tutorial at 10-15min

I want to reference all the core concepts from the 60 second overview even
if only briefly, that way people can come back to the short page and say
"ahh yes that is where that fits in again"