maven-users mailing list archives

From Tommy Svensson <to...@natusoft.se>
Subject Maven Central Opinion
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 13:15:02 GMT
I was asked to submit one of my opensource tools at github to maven central. This turned out
to be a rather complex procedure.

Sonatype puts the following requirements on anyone wanting to submit to maven central:

- You are forced to set a Sonatype pom as parent of your project and thus inherit things you
have no control over.
- You are forced to have a SNAPSHOT version even if you have no use for such.
- You are forced at submission time to select a new version for your software even if you
have no idea if it will be a minor, bugfix or new functionality at this point in time.
- Your public repository (github, etc) which you are forced to point out in your pom are no
longer yours to decide over. It will be updated during the submission process.
- After running 3 different mvn commands you also need to login to Sonatypes nexus server
and ”release” the artifacts before the become available.

The idea of the maven repository that has grown larger than maven itself is a completely brilliant
idea. It takes open source to a new level where anyone can just depend on other open source
code and automatically download it on build. This is really good for the open source world
(well, at least the Java/JVM part of it) . The fact that the release process to this central
repository is far too complex, I see as a really great problem, inhibiting the easy sharing
of open source work. I have often found open source tools and frameworks that are not available
in maven central, and that is because not everyone is willing to put up with this, which now
also includes myself. As I see it, either this procedure needs to be changed to provide a
trivial release of binary artifacts without affecting your poms, or there need to be an alternative
open repository providing ease of release, where it is trivial for anyone to share their binaries
for easy access by others. I’m wondering if I’m alone in this view or if there are others
who agree with me ?

Tommy Svensson