maven-users mailing list archives

From Robert Kuropkat <rkurop...@t-sciences.com>
Subject Re: short and snappy description of what Maven is
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 19:22:18 GMT

The mention of convention over configuration really is key.  The biggest
problem I see when people switch from Ant to Maven is they really don't
want to buy into the convention philosophy.  Even if they are willing to
do so, their project usually is not laid out in a complimentary way and
it is likely they do not manage third party libraries outside the
context of the project (ie. a nexus/artifactory repo).   Because of
this, they either waste a lot of time trying to contort Maven into
working like Ant, or they spend much more time than anticipated
re-arranging their projects and weaving the idea of jar repo into their
processes and infrastructure, neither of which leaves people with a
happy experience.

As a few others have mentioned, the features and goals of the various
build tools are nearly the same.  It's the driving philosophy that makes
the difference.  Understanding that it is more of a philosophical
comparison/change rather than just a tool/feature comparison I think is
critical to people starting up with Maven with proper expectations.

Robert Kuropkat