maven-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: New logo?
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2014 15:51:12 GMT
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:08:09PM +0000, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> Putting maven-20 in context, you get:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-20-in-context.png

*Very* nice work, but...what does this Native Americans theme have to do
with "maven"?  Yes, I know, but people *will* ask.  Especially since
the answer has no connection with what Maven would do for them.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Maven landing page exists to sell Maven, not
the Apache Software Foundation.  A link to the Foundation's landing
page is quite appropriate and should be easy to find, but that's not
why people come to this page.  They come because they've heard
something about Maven and want to know more, or Google gave them a
link when they asked something about software project management or
build tools, or because some other project had a "built with Maven"
link on its page and they're curious.  They'll probably be best
pleased if, at a glance, they can get some notion of what Maven does.

Possibly that message simply isn't very visual, and the best one can
do is to select a (formerly) meaningless but unique mascot or abstract
symbol.  Possibly there is an image that will make people think, "yes!
that is Maven in action."

I'm really not that sort of visual thinker, but images of structure,
assembly, or gathering seem appropriate.  The best(?) I've been able
to imagine is a funnel with classes falling in and a package falling
out.  Or perhaps an assembly line.  (What do classes look like? beats
me.)  Maybe you can do something with the Reactor:  skinny pipes bring
things in, one big pipe lets the product out.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.