maven-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: help testing a test war in a jar module
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:07:25 GMT

> To: users@maven.apache.org
> From: randysr@kamradtfamily.net
> Subject: RE: help testing a test war in a jar module
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:03:04 -0700
>
> to answer your first question, it's a Vaadin app, so I suppose it's a plain servlet based
webapp. I provide a dummy entry point as part of the test code.
> to answer your second question, I use the <webDirectory> configuration of the tomcat
plugin to point it to the exploded webapp
MG>I have a webapp which i would like to convert into embedded tomcat app
MG>http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-2.1/index.html
MG>where is tomcat7-maven-plugin <webDirectory> attribute documented and or used?

MG>thanks!

> --------- Original Message --------- Subject: RE: help testing a test war in a jar module
> From: "Martin Gainty" <mgainty@hotmail.com>
> Date: 12/12/13 9:45 am
> To: "randysr@kamradtfamily.net" <randysr@kamradtfamily.net>
>
> > To: users@maven.apache.org
> > From: randysr@kamradtfamily.net
> > Subject: help testing a test war in a jar module
> > Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:25:43 -0700
> >
> > I have an unusual issue, a product that is ultimately a webapp, but each screen
is required to be in a separate jar file with no inter-dependencies (though they all have
dependencies to lower level library jars). I would like to be able to test each of these jar
files within the jar module that builds them by creating a 'dummy' exploded war file and deploying
it to an embedded tomcat. By having all the source for the screen in a single module MG>Single
Module is jsp/html/jsf?

> we should be able to test each screen in isolation and use JRebel to tweak the code
> MG>without redeploying the changed code to the container how would the container 'know'
where to locate new code

> without redeployment and perhaps use selenium for a basic UI test of each screen. We
use the embedded tomcat because we use tomcat in our final war, so the results will be as
close as possible, and we use a database resource via tomcat's database pool to access the
database.
> MG>..smart..
> >
> > Running the tomcat7:run-war-only goal gives the message 'Skipping non war project'.
I am creating a war by explicitly running the war:exploded goal after the test-compile phase.

> > Is there any miracle of a chance anyone has tried something similar to this and
succeeded? Does jetty provide a better alternative (and have the database resources configurable
like I have in Tomcat)?