maven-users mailing list archives

From Malte Skoruppa <skoru...@cs.uni-saarland.de>
Subject Re: how to run compile and packaging before test?
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:34:25 GMT

>> Meanwhile, one doesn't necessarily have to buy a book to learn about the
>> Maven lifecycle. This is also explained on the website:
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
> Yes, but it doesn't go into enough details.
>
> The *free* books do.

This actually surprised me. Free?
Looking at the "Books and Resources" page more closely, I found but
*one* book that is free, namely the "Better Builds with Maven" (2006,
covers Maven 2.0.4 - i.e., rather old).
For all the other books, there are Amazon (and similar) links.

If these other books are also freely available, this should certainly be
put forward more clearly on the page, with appropriate links.

Apart from the books, the "Books and Resources" page links to a plethora
of articles on this and that about Maven. But that is not what you'd
call a structured introduction to Maven, let alone a "book". (Well, at
least, that's not where I'd go digging if I wanted to find out more
about, say, the build lifecycle. I'd go to the Guides index in that
case. At least that's sorted by category.)

On a sidenote, I also noticed that the page links to "JavaBlackBelt's
Maven Exam" on javablackbelt.com under "Miscellaneous on Maven".
However, javablackbelt.com does not exist anymore [1], and the "Maven
Exam" link is dead. [2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javablackbelt
[2]
http://www.javablackbelt.com/QuestionnaireDefDisplay.wwa?questPublicId=01559