maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: How to resolve right dependency which enabled and built/install with profile?
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 07:23:50 GMT
A has code
C has no code and is there to allow you to compile A and B with libjar
without getting libjar into your A jar.

"provided" is there to tell maven not to put libjar into A.
It says that you will do that after A is built and before B is executed.

You then assemble a deliverable jar with A.jar, B.jar and the version of
libjar that you want at run-time, using maven-assembly or maven-shade
plug-in or better yet with an installer that allows the system admin to
specify the deployment environment and get the right libjar at
installation time.

Avoids profiles and makes your poms follow "Best Practices".

Ron

On 11/12/2013 1:40 AM, Liu, Raymond wrote:
> Well. The reason for using different version of libjar is that it's a client API, and
working with different version of server counter part code.
> They are not compatible, instead, A is a shim layer that hook into different libjar API
and provide a common interface for B to use. So that to hide the API changes across version.
> And in my case B need to be assembled into a fat jar for easy usage. So switching C in
runtime won't be possible. Otherwise, not need an extra C, just switching libjar is ok.

> Best Regards,
> Raymond Liu

wish, I wish B to know nothing about A's internal implementation. In the future, A might depends
on a v3.0 libjar, I do wish to just repackage B to make it work not revise B's code or assembly
rules. And sometime A might be buried deep in the dependent tree, Those project might not
even aware it depends on A, they just wish it works on whatever current A's binary jar, which
then need the right libjar dependency when assembly.

>> 	And I know it seems hard to use profiles to manipulate dependencies. While by theory,
I think this is a reasonable requirement that a project do not need to take care of its dependencies'
internal implementation of what it depends on, It just wish it works. E.g. if the POM file
is installed in a way that when it build with profile, the corresponding dependencies and
any other modifying is fill in the final POM file. ( since the profile is not used anyway
when resolve dependencies, why keep it there? For source jar? ) Then those project depend
on it won't worry about A's profile, it's already the correct one which been used on building
A with this installed or downloaded binary jar.

>> 	So , using profile might not be the right solution, While if there isn't an automatic
way to meet this requirement, can I take it as a feature missing?

>> Best Regards,
>> Raymond Liu

lib versions (this is also a bad plan, but less worse than your current plan by quite some
margin). The additional modules would depend on A and the respective version of libjar and
bundle the two together.

>> Then B can depend if the corresponding internmediate... Now at this point you will
start to see the madness returning... That is if you need two versions of B.