maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Version resolution question
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 02:03:59 GMT
I think that you have a pretty good grasp of the situation now and
should be able to make your case.

Good luck

Ron

On 06/12/2013 8:02 PM, John Dix wrote:
> No it isn't a good thing. I never said it was. However I am trying to make a case for
upgrading and in order to do that I need to test against all of our code in a sandbox environment.
I am having issues building and was hoping to have those resolved. :)

in an executive office) until the decisions and testing get finished.

> Good luck.
> Ron
>
> On 06/12/2013 7:38 PM, John Dix wrote:
>> Yes and Yes.
>>
>> It took us 6 months to upgrade from 3.0.3 to 3.0.5 which still hasn't happened or
released product yet.

your organization by using a plug-in and an old Maven with known bugs?

>> Good luck.
>> It is hard enough to fight the bugs that one creates without a corporate structure
making progress more difficult.

>> Ron
>>

>> On 06/12/2013 6:44 PM, John Dix wrote:
>>> Sorry, I meant we do not have Shade 2.1 plugin. 2.0 is in our repository.

the Shade plugin in our repositories and so I manually place it into our .m2 repository into
the right place. The reason this is happening because our organization is big and adding anything
to our repository takes a papal bull and a month of testing. I am trying to build an argument
for our architects to upgrade to Maven 3.1.1 which solves several bugs we're running into.

>>> That is why I am doing all of this.
>>>
>>> Now, I want to force it to look in .m2 before going anywhere else. I thought
if I used the -o flag to tell I to work offline it would do this, however it isn't.

>>> Is there a way to force it to look in the .m2 for what it needs rather than having
to go to mavencentral?

unless I specify on the command line -Pmavencentral which is defined in our .m2/settings.xml
as such:

without the -Pmavencentral and I receive the following:

I need to speciy? Is there some place I should be looking to see for conflicting settings?

depending on the version of Maven being used. However, some caveats:

madness lies." This hack will get your build done for you, but it is a hack, and you should
never forget that it is a hack. Or to put another way:

[1], and Maven will (IIRC) just fail fast if the version is too old. That is a lot less mysterious
than some subtle inconsistency in shaded artifact build results. And you'll get truly repeatable
builds which are one of the fabulous benefits of a well-structured build system.

--
Ron Wheeler
President