maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: plugin version ranges errors with Maven 3.1.1
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:19:11 GMT
Version ranges are generally a bad idea.

What is the point of allowing an older version of shade? Are there bugs
that have been fixed in newer version that you depend on? But then why
would you want Maven to pick a newer one.

Why not pick one that works with your version of Maven and stick with it?

You can also omit the version and let Maven pick one but this is not
recommended.

We specify a version in the dependencyManagement section of the parent
and are sure that every build uses the right version.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30571/how-do-i-tell-maven-to-use-the-latest-version-of-a-dependency

is a nice discussion of version ranges.
It shows that your syntax should work.
It appears that maven is having trouble recognizing the "[" as the start
of a version. Is it possible that there is a character (space or
non-printing) before the "[".

Ron

On 06/12/2013 2:12 PM, John Dix wrote:
> I am trying to specify a version range in a pom.xml in order to support our build by
doing the following:

> <plugin>
> <groupId> org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> <artifactId> maven-shade-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>[2.0, )</version>
> </plugin>
>
> And I am getting this error:
>
> [ERROR] Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-shade-plugin:[2.0,) or one of its dependencies
could not be resolved: Failed to read artifact descriptor for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-shade-plugin:jar:[2.0,):
Could not transfer artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-shade-plugin:pom:[2.0,) from/to
qpass-nexus-hosted-releases (http://xxxx:8081/nexus/content/repositories/releases): Illegal
character in path at index 115: http://xxx:8081/nexus/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-shade-plugin/[2.0,)/maven-shade-plugin-[2.0,).pom
-> [Help 1]

Download the new white paper, "Mobile Financial Services: The Evolution of Payment" here<http://amdocs.com/mfs-wp>.

- and follow us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/AmdocsMobilePayments>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/amdocsmpayments>,
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/amdocs>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/amdocs>
and Google+<https://plus.google.com/+amdocs#+amdocs/posts>

> This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and
subject to the Amdocs policy statement,

--
Ron Wheeler
President