maven-users mailing list archives

From rand...@kamradtfamily.net
Subject help testing a test war in a jar module
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:25:43 GMT
I have an unusual issue, a product that is ultimately a webapp, but each screen is required
to be in a separate jar file with no inter-dependencies (though they all have dependencies
to lower level library jars).  I would like to be able to test each of these jar files within
the jar module that builds them by creating a 'dummy' exploded war file and deploying it to
an embedded tomcat.  By having all the source for the screen in a single module we should
be able to test each screen in isolation and use JRebel to tweak the code without redeployment
and perhaps use selenium for a basic UI test of each screen.  We use the embedded tomcat because
we use tomcat in our final war, so the results will be as close as possible, and we use a
database resource via tomcat's database pool to access the database.

Running the tomcat7:run-war-only goal gives the message 'Skipping non war project'.  I am
creating a war by explicitly running the war:exploded goal after the test-compile phase.

Is there any miracle of a chance anyone has tried something similar to this and succeeded?
 Does jetty provide a better alternative (and have the database resources configurable like
I have in Tomcat)?

Thanks in advance for any consideration of this issue,
Randy Kamradt