maven-users mailing list archives

From Anders Hammar <and...@hammar.net>
Subject Re: Best Practice for Repository Names etc...
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:48:04 GMT
And some additions from me:

 4. Is there a recommended way to handle group/artifact naming. I have seen
>> many on the internet
>>
> Group - com.mycompany.project

"com.mycompany" should be your web domain in reverse. You need to own this!
Please keep in mind not to go to bold. If you're within a large
international company it could be wise not to use the .com space unless
you're really in charge of the groupId's. It could then be better to use
your country space (if you also own that domain of course), which you
likely have better control of.
I'd say "project" should rather be application's name. The project's name
is most likely going to change over time and you don't want to change the
groupId all the time. Having said that, I know it's hard to set the
application's name early in the process when you need to decide on groupId.

> Artifact - meaningful name

I always advice to have a prefix in the artifactId. This is mainly because
the artifactId is used in the file name of the artifact. And you don't want
a file called "core-1.0.jar". So prefix-xxx is much better. Have a look in
the open source world to get some ideas.

/Anders