maven-users mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is "mvn validate compile" different from "mvn validate; mvn compile"?
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 00:23:15 GMT
On 8 November 2013 08:32, Alexander Kriegisch
> nexus for myself. But imagine a situation in which all I want to have as a precondition
for building a tiny little OSS tool with external (non-Maven dependencies) is a working Maven
installation and one command: mvn install. I do not want to put the burden on my users to
create their own Nexus or manually download dependencies and install them to the local repo.

Who are your users?

If they are internal to you company then you solve that by using your
company's internal Maven Repository Manager.

If they are users on the internet then you solve that by getting your
dependencies into Central. Which is Solution #1.
What that post is missing is how to get your external jars into
Central, which is documented at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html.

This requires your dependencies by open source. It does not rely on
the developers of that dependency to upload it to central.  If they
are being recalcitrant then you can upload it for the benefit of
everyone else.