maven-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <>
Subject RE: AW: AW: mvn release:prepare does not update parent version
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 13:16:28 GMT

> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:40:56 +0100
> Subject: AW: AW: mvn release:prepare does not update parent version
> Martin,
> thanks for your ideas, but...
> I agree that the docs do not say anything about the parent, but my question is not about
the docs, it is about this question the plugin is actually asking:
> "Resolve Project Dependency Snapshots.: '' set to release? (yes/no)
yes: yes
> What is the next development version? (1.1-SNAPSHOT) 1.1-SNAPSHOT: "
> "" *is the parent*. So why does this plugin ask this question? *That*
is my question! :-)

MG>I see 2 parts:
MG>1)maven-release-plugin creates a release (which is already accomplished)
MG>2)assignment of development-version to the version tag in pom which resolves
MG>current artifact
MG>When maven-release plugin is asking the question What is the next development version?

MG>*may* lead the op to *assume* that the answer to the previous question release artifact

MG>(my-parent) *should be* tagged with development version 1.1-SNAPSHOT
MG>(instead of the tagging current artifact with development version)

MG>Is it reasonable for maven-release-plugin that "next development version"
MG>(e.g. 1.1-SNAPSHOT) *should* be assigned to the any artifact other than current artifact?

> Also, I do not want to use another third-party plugin to update the parent at every *deploy*.
I only want the parent to be corrected to that level the Maven Release Plugin suggests automatically
*when preparing the release* (and only then!). So unless prepare-release is a phase (which
I am not aware of) your suggested trick is not a solution to my actual problem. :-(
MG>Accomplishing your immediate objective using plugin (and perhaps profile)
MG>1)prepare-release is a plugin not a phase (i have never suggested otherwise)
MG>2) what was suggested is that you hook in a plugin to update parent with update-parent
plugin to deploy MG>phase (with conditions activated as a profile) ..
MG>the plugin was suggested  as a way to accomplish the objective

MG>Setup Testing Environment:
MG>in order to accomplish your objective to tag the Development Version of 1.1 to parent
MG> *should* be reclassified as an "enhancement
MG>please follow Roberts suggestion to implement 2.4.2 for maven-release-plugin

MG>As the person who wants the enhancement there are 3 questions left unanswered:
MG>should there be an attribute in configuration to update parentVersion
MG>if not configuration attribute what other means should be used for parent to acquire
this value?
MG>2)If additional attribute parentVersion is implemented should there be another question
asked by maven-MG>release-plugin such as "parent version should be?..what should be the
phrasing of the question?

MG>3)Is it reasonable to assume you will make the "development-version updates parent-version"
enhancement MG>request for maven-release plugin