maven-users mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <r...@gold-family.us>
Subject Re: maven-failsafe-plugin: what is it actually intended for?
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:35:13 GMT
Hi James,

Start with the basic Agile presumption about unit tests: they are very fast (you should be
able to run about 100 unit tests in a second), so that you don’t mind running them with
every compile, and must always run at 100% before checkin. Integration tests are pretty much
anything else. They generally involve I/O, complex processes, interaction with other systems,
but most importantly: they are frequently comprehensive and slow (so that you don’t want
to run them every time), and most significantly, you can define them so that they don’t
always have to pass.

It is this last aspect that explains the use of two separate goals. One one of integration
tests is to give developers something to aim for. While unit tests are written by developers
as they add features, integration tests can be designed by testers from requirements before
the relevant features are ready. In this way, they can act as a measure of how much work still
needs to be done. In theory, if your testers are fast enough, you could define “done”
as happening when the integration tests pass at 100%.

If you’re interested, I explain this in the final section of my maven video course (see
my sig)

Regards,
Russ

Author, Getting Started with Apache Maven <http://www.packtpub.com/getting-started-with-apache-maven/video>