maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to release a child module that isn't listed in the parent's list of modules?
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 16:04:02 GMT
On 19/11/2013 10:50 AM, Russell Gold wrote:
> The release plugin does an awful lot more than deploy. The usual case is that during
development, your version is set to a snapshot - the plugin changes it to a release version,
commits the change to CM and tags it, among other things. Deploy won’t do any of that.

Exactly but I think that all he wants to do it to deploy a single module
as a "RELEASE"  that is not part of a part of the project (not a child
of the parent) but is related to it in some way. It appears that the
rest of the project is not ready for release yet but this module is.
My point is that for a single module, that is out of step with the rest
of the project, it make not be worthwhile fighting with the release
plug-in to save 30 seconds of CM work and 30 seconds of POM editing.

> That said, your point about the versions is a good one. It makes no sense to set the
snapshot back to match the version just released.
I hope that this discussion of releases gets him back on track.
  I do wonder if there was some confusion about the function of the
release-plug-in and the actual deploy of a release.
Your comments will go a long way to making this clearer.
> Regards,
> Russ
>
> On Nov 19, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>
>> I never us the release plug-in so you can take my comments with a grain of salt.
>>
>>  From reading the docs I am not sure that these are right.
>>
>> -DdevelopmentVersion=52.0.0-SNAPSHOT -DreleaseVersion=52.0.0
>>

>> My interpretation is that you are trying to get maven to go backwards.
>> You are saying to release 52.0.0 and make a new snapshot of 52.0.0-SNAPSHOT which
is not right.

>> -DdevelopmentVersion=52.0.1-SNAPSHOT -DreleaseVersion=52.0.0
>>
>> seems to be the right arguments.
>>
>> I am not sure why you are even using the release plug-in at all. If you just want
to deploy a release of one module just use the deploy command.
>> Release wants to do a some magic to your project to get it setup for the next development
cycle and I am not sure that you really want to do all this at this time.

>> If you just want to deploy the current release and start working on 52.0.1-SNAPSHOT
for one module, you can just deploy and change the pom to point the 52.0.1-SNAPSHOT parent
and you are ready for the next development cycle. - Not worth wrestling with the release plug-in.