maven-users mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: How to test with multiple versions
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:54:12 GMT
Thanks for the suggestions.  I did look at the invoker plugin, and see you can
set up separate maven "builds" at different versions.

I guess what I'm still missing is how to write one test that (ideally, within
one JVM) starts a "server" running with version 2.4.0 of some artifacts, and
then runs a "client" having the same artifacts but at version 2.4.2, in the same
JVM (I'm thinking, using class loader stuff), run through its tests - connecting
to the service, sending messages, receiving, etc.

We already have test cases that do this, but of course, the server and the
client are at the same version level.

An approach I am considering, is giving up on running within one JVM, and having
the test do a Java exec call with a class path set up somehow to point to
version 2.4.0 (for example).  I'm not sure how to reference that version via
maven artifact mechanisms, when the rest of the test would be referencing those
same artifacts at a different version...

-Marshall