maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Best Practice for Repository Names etc...
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 14:27:18 GMT
We use the community version of Nexus but they do the same things.
See below
On 08/11/2013 7:30 AM, Jason Tesser wrote:
> We have one piece of software that we sell.  There are a few github repos
> which make up the code for this software.  We have been using only ANT for
> years and all our libs are in WEB-INF/lib
>
> We also write plugins against us to deploy in our system.
>
> We are moving to using Maven for our Dependencies. We have Artifactory set
> up and working.
>
> My questions are as follows
>
> 1. For local Repositories should I stick with the convention that
> Artifactory shipped with?
> libs-release-local, libs-snapshot-local, plugins-release-local,
> plugins-snapshot-local,-ext-release-local,ext-snapshot-local
> I was wondering if I should just create one local repo and store everything
> in it?
No. You need to keep things separate.
Generally, it is a good idea to follow the vendor's recommended
structures until you have a good reason not to.
Some of the artifacts will be yours(hosted), most will be from other
Maven repos (proxy).
You may want to have different access rules for different repos - who
can read it, who can publish a snapshot, who can publish a release. You
may have different rules about plug-ins than you do for application and
library code.

> 2. Related to number 1. Can 1 repo not support the snapshots?
You are going to deploy many snapshots and few releases. Access (as
above) is an issue. Rules about cleaning out old snapshots will be
different than releases.
> 3. Related to 2 What is the best practice way to handle my branch which
> people run everyday and gets commits everyday. This is during development.
Snapshots until you release.
> 4. Is there a recommended way to handle group/artifact naming. I have seen
> many on the internet
Group - com.mycompany.project
Artifact - meaningful name
Version - x.y.z
works for us.
It should make things easier to find and you pretty quickly can see
where something came from.
We have a "util" group "com.artifact_software.util" where we put
utilities that are shared between projects.

I hope that this helps

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler