maven-users mailing list archives

From Bear Giles <bgi...@coyotesong.com>
Subject maven shade: how to actually use custom shader (plus a few ideas)
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 01:49:09 GMT
First the question: how do I actually use a custom shader? I've created my
own Shader implementation based on DefaultShader, set a new hint, and
modified the working pom.xml entry with
<shaderHint>myShaderHint</shaderHint>.

It blows up - it can't find a class implementing the Shader interface. I
KNOW that that class is present, I don't know why it can't find it. I also
tried adding <shader implementation="fully.qualified.class.Name"/>. No joy
there either.

So how do I specify the custom shader???

Now two ideas. I would contribute code but my employer is rather paranoid
so my hands are tied until the end of my contract. Fortunately these are
simple ideas that would only take a few hours for someone familiar with the
code to knock out.

1. Add "artifact" to ShadeRequest. This lets the custom shader to make a
distinction between "internal" dependencies and "external" dependencies.

2. Add a standard Shader that creates a jar-of-jars instead of an uberjar.

The specific motivation for the jar-of-jars is that we need to collect
dependencies for third-party vulnerability assessment. We've been doing it
by hand but it's very error prone. With a trivial change to DefaultShader
we can immediately create a jar containing all of the dependencies. We can
then upload that monster for assessment.

(The ability to capture the corresponding source is a free additional
benefit!)

3. We're trying to implement a refinement of the second item. The specs are
still in flux but the idea is that anything "internal" (same groupId) goes
in the parent directory but is stripped of version information. Everything
else goes into a "lib" directory. Again the idea is that it makes it much
easier to pass to a third-party validation tool. I don't know if this is
too specific for a general tool or if it's something easily supported with
a configuration flag or two.

Thanks,

Bear