maven-users mailing list archives

From Curtis Rueden <ctrue...@wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Tooling to help with releases from within a source tree.
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:57:06 GMT
Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

> I have a source tree releasing multiple artifacts, all on different
> release cycles, semantically versioned and depending on one another in
> a tree.

My group has a very similar situation -- multiple different source trees,
actually. I don't know of any tooling to do what you ask. But we built some
simple tooling to assist us in making rapid releases.

A shell script which uses the maven-release-plugin but with some features
specific to our projects:
https://github.com/scijava/scijava-common/blob/master/bin/release-version.sh

Instructions on using it:
https://github.com/imagej/imagej/blob/master/RELEASES.md

We are firm believers in "release early, release often" (or as Jeff Atwood
of StackOverflow fame puts it: "Go that way, really fast" [1]). So it is
vital that the release process be as simple as possible, so we can do
chained releases "up the tree" as needed very quickly.

I suppose the bigger your project tree gets, the more your hypothetical
"release everything that needs to be released" tooling could become a
life-saver. But it's also a very high-level operation with really big
potential ramifications if misused, then, too.

Regards,
Curtis

[1] http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/09/go-that-way-really-fast.html