maven-users mailing list archives

From Curtis Rueden <ctrue...@wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Is there a Maven plugin for the Java debugger (jdb)?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:50:34 GMT
Hi Andrew,

> Exception occurred: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
> (uncaught)"thread=main", java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(), line=202 bci=73

Not sure what to tell you. I tested it with my project and was able to
launch my app from jdb as usual; see:
https://github.com/imagej/imagej/commit/8cfe0fde7d89c71e083c992f5c7432b29f09c483

> the correct way to hand jdb the CLASSPATH?

Yep, at least on my OS X system with Sun Java 1.7.0_21:

$ jdb -version
This is jdb version 1.6 (Java SE version 1.7.0_21)

$ jdb -help | grep classpath
    -classpath <directories separated by ":">

Is your "HelloMaven" class really in the default package? What happens if
you change "jdb" to "java" in your exec; can you launch your application in
non-debug mode that way? If not, there is something fishy with either your
java main class or your classpath.

Regards,
Curtis

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Andrew Pennebaker <apennebaker@42six.com>wrote:

> [...]
supplying the
> exact code, by the way!
>
> But jdb is showing an error:
>
> $ mvn exec:exec -Djdb.mainClass=HelloMaven
> Initializing jdb ...
> > run
> run HelloMaven
> Set uncaught java.lang.Throwable
> Set deferred uncaught java.lang.Throwable
> >
> VM Started:
> Exception occurred: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
> (uncaught)"thread=main", java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(), line=202 bci=73
>
> main[1]
>
> This happens for any class I hand exec:exec.
>
> This is the same error I see if I try to jdb <Class> manually.

the
> correct way to hand jdb the CLASSPATH?
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Curtis Rueden <ctrueden@wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > > Could you elaborate on the exact <plugin>...</plugin> snippet I
would
> > > need to drop into my pom.xml in order to achieve this?
> >
> > <plugin>
> >   <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
> >   <artifactId>exec-maven-plugin</artifactId>
> >   <version>1.2.1</version>
> >   <configuration>
> >     <executable>jdb</executable>
> >     <arguments>
> >       <argument>-classpath</argument>
> >       <classpath />
> >       <argument>${jdb.mainClass}</argument>
> >     </arguments>
> >   </configuration>
> >   <executions>
> >     <execution>
> >       <goals>
> >         <goal>exec</goal>
> >       </goals>
> >     </execution>
> >   </executions>
> > </plugin>
> >
> > > If I could just `mvn exec:exec <Class>`, starting a jdb session on
> > > <Class>.main(), that would be *perfect*.
> >
> > We can get close. If you use the block above, you would launch with:
> >
> >     mvn -Djdb.mainClass=<Class> exec:exec
> >
> > Where "jdb.mainClass" is the property used in the XML above. And if that
> is
> > not concise enough for your taste you can choose a property with a
> shorter
> > name.
> >
> > Working example inside a profile with a specific main class is here:
> >

> https://github.com/imagej/imagej/commit/8cfe0fde7d89c71e083c992f5c7432b29f09c483
> >
> > Regards,
> > Curtis
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Andrew Pennebaker <
> apennebaker@42six.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you, Curtis, that looks like an excellent suggestion!
> > >
> > > Could you elaborate on the exact <plugin>...</plugin> snippet I
would
> > need
> > > to drop into my pom.xml in order to achieve this?
> > >
> > > If I could just `mvn exec:exec <Class>`, starting a jdb session on
> > > <Class>.main(), that would be *perfect*.

Java
> code
> > > in a
Eclipse