maven-users mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <r...@gold-family.us>
Subject Re: Best Practice for testing code that uses provided dependencies
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 02:36:11 GMT

On Oct 27, 2013, at 9:38 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> On 27/10/2013 7:59 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
>> I’m actually running into the same issue, and my plan was s to take advantage of
the situation to provide test versions of the classes. What I found was that the “provided”
dependency wound up in the test class path.

>> So I think that the fact that it is provided should have no impact on how you test
it.
> I am not sure what you mean.
> If scope is provided, does that mean that you have to add the jar to the project?

> Or does "provided" turn out to be like compile when the tests are run?

Yes; if scope is “provided”, maven will make sure the jar is available on the compile
class path as well as the test compile and test run class paths; however, anything that depends
on your module will not inherit the dependency transitively, I believe (although I have tried
this) that if you use an assembly plugin to package your project, it will ignore the provided
dependency. I’m not sure what you mean by “add the jar to the project.”

> I guess that Eclipse does not understand that. It can not resolve the imports. Not really
a maven problem

It seems to work in IntellijIDEA, though.

>> - Russ
>>
>> On Oct 27, 2013, at 7:22 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We have code that depends on "provided" libraries.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to test the code?
>>>
>>> I don't particularly want to add the shared libraries to the project since they
are large and will add a big load into the SCM and make it hard to check out the project.