maven-users mailing list archives

From rand...@kamradtfamily.net
Subject RE: Trying to understand how maven finds source
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:21:09 GMT
Maven has a 'convention over configuration' philosophy, which means that the pom.xml doesn't
need to specify paths that are in the conventional places.  So unless otherwise configured,
it will look in src/main/java for all of it's (non-test) source code.  You should be able
to find the conventions listed on the maven site, or the site for a particular plug-in.

I find this very helpful in creating minimalist pom.xml files for the standard 'make me a
jar, test, document, and put it some where it can be found' process.  But it can be a pain
if you don't know where the conventional places are, and any deviation often results in a
great multitude of google searches to find the man behind the curtain.

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Trying to understand how maven finds source
From: "Robert Dailey" <rcdailey.lists@gmail.com>
Date: 10/24/13 1:04 pm
To: "Maven" <users@maven.apache.org>

Hey everyone,

 I'm trying to understand something basic, I haven't been able to find
 the answer through Google surprisingly (maybe my searching abilities
 suck today). How is it that Maven is able to find source code to
 compile? What I would expect is the pom.xml to refer to some *.java
 path (something like <source>src/main/java/*</source>), but I don't
 see anything like that.

 How does maven know what java source code to compile? Thanks in
 advance for any help.