maven-users mailing list archives

From Nathan Coast <nathan.co...@db.com>
Subject Re: how to make the SVN release process more robust
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 17:14:55 GMT
Classification: Public

I'm not sure that will help our problem as tags remain mutable.  The tag
checked out for release perform could still be corrupted.

From:
Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
To:
Maven Users List <users@maven.apache.org>,
Date:
05/08/2013 18:00
Re: how to make the SVN release process more robust

The original behaviour was to tag the local working copy not the remote
tree, so that you could release at any time without having to for e a
"quiet" period on trunk.

Then a bug in the neon transport for Subversion 1.5 or 1.6 (I cannot
recall
which) made tagging from working copies for https based repositories
difficult for users.

Now that serf is the default transport, perhaps we can switch back to the
old behaviour?

On Monday, 5 August 2013, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, as this is actually something that the SCM itself allows, I would
> consider just forbidding on my svn server.
>
> This might be an interesting evolution though to be able to enforce this
at
> the maven-release-plugin (though unlikely to happen often since the
three
> usual commits actually happen very close to each others).
>
> Cheers
>

> 2013/8/5 Nathan Coast <nathan.coast@db.com <javascript:;>>
>
> > Classification: Public
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As SVN tags are simply a convention overlayed on top of SVN
directories,
> > SVN tags are therefore mutable.  This opens the possibility that
someone
> > could inject code to a tag between the release:prepare and the
> > release:perform phases.
> >
> > This would mean that the code checked out during release perform phase
> > could be different from the code which was originally tagged.
> >
> > To close this potential loophole, I'm considering this solution:
> > 1)  Modify the behaviour within
> > org.apache.maven.scm.provider.svn.svnjava.command.tag.SvnTagCommand to
> > return the tag revision number via TagScmResult
> > 2)  Write the result to release.properties
> > 3)  Utilise the revision number within the checkout command (tag plus
> > revision#)
> >
> > Does anyone have any alternate suggestion for how to solve this?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nathan
> >

> > ---
> >
> > This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
> you
> > are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
> > please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any
> > unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this
> > e-mail is strictly forbidden.
> >
> > Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for
> > additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.

;>

--
Sent from my phone

---