maven-users mailing list archives

From Baptiste MATHUS ...@batmat.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave (was Re: svn commit: r1506778 - /maven/site/trunk/content/markdown/project-roles.md)
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 04:56:59 GMT
2013/8/2 Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com>

> On 01/08/2013 5:55 PM, Jonathan Sharp wrote:
>
>> I think John C raises an interesting case here, where the voting process
>> can fall down.
>>
>> A large code dump like that can hurt the quality of documentation and
>> support (in addition to team morale).
>>
> It depends on how good the code and documentation is!
> If the PMC can not deal with the amount of code being proposed, they need
> to increase the PMC.
> In the meantime, they can always defer the acceptance.
>
> I would love to have the problem of my team producing too much tested code
> and documentation for me to read!!!

That's the point, not really talking of "your team" here. The (somehow a
bit hypothetic, granted) point raised here is where you would find yourself
in front of say one year of coding being proposed. And IIUC, we're only
talking about *PMC members* and values here. Sure, one company/individual
could work on his fork and propose a lot of changes later when he finally
wants/is allowed to, and btw he hasn't any direct commit access to the
project and so on.

 About growing the PMC, I suppose we're looping here ;-). IIUC, again, I
think the point is precisely to define those values/rules to be able to
induct more serenely new PMC members while asking them to adhere to those
definitions.

Cheers