maven-users mailing list archives

From Baptiste MATHUS ...@batmat.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] On the Maven PMC roles... (was [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave...)
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 18:27:47 GMT
Le 2 août 2013 17:48, "Hervé BOUTEMY" <herve.boutemy@free.fr> a écrit :

> Le vendredi 2 août 2013 10:08:42 Curtis Rueden a écrit :
> > True, and it is good to warn about this. However, ultimately I think
Git is
> > a better choice (than SVN) because it often makes code review much
easier.
> I didn't use gerrit nor have seen anybody using it. But I hear about it
more
> and more often as an argument why it makes git better than svn (even if I
read
> that gerrit is a fork of rietveld, which is the same for subversion: but
> nobody even talks about it, don't know why).
> Is this pure theory? a dream? a reality for a minority of experts, talking
> about it loudly but no mere mortal can use it?
> (intentional provocational tone to motivate people who know to show me the
> direction to the light :) )

Just my 2 cents : been using gerrit professionally on a daily basis for 8
months now. So there's actually real people using it, I can testify ;).

We're a team of ~10 guys.

(For French savvy people I've given a short talk about it at the Toulouse
jug. The session was recorded ans is hosted on parleys).

> > If a new feature is properly developed on a topic branch with commits
> > squashed, rewritten and organized as needed, the history can be laid
out in
> > a very easy-to-understand manner: new features and bugfixes done in
> > properly isolated commits, unit tests added immediately thereafter, etc.
> yes, with git, you can: with git, so much things can be done.
> But once again, I didn't see anybody do it, because it's a lot of work.

You're right. I try to do it as often as I can. But perfection takes a bit
too long to commit/rework and sometimes it's ridiculous ;).

> And it requires to be a git black belt.

It helps to practice, sure. Btw, Gerrit makes it worse. It almost forces
you to use advances features to make it really useful.
That's why I'd say putting a whole team both beginning with git and gerrit
would be a mistake.