maven-users mailing list archives

From Curtis Rueden <ctrue...@wisc.edu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] On the Maven PMC roles... (was [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave...)
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 16:13:50 GMT
Hi Herve,

> I didn't use gerrit nor have seen anybody using it. ... Is this pure
> theory? a dream? a reality for a minority of experts, talking about it
> loudly but no mere mortal can use it?

Google uses it (of course). For example, for Chromium:
https://gerrit.chromium.org/
Kitware uses it. ITK, VTK, etc.: http://review.source.kitware.com/
I'm sure there are many others.

Personally my colleagues and I don't use it; we use GitHub's code review
mechanism which is simple and effective. You can comment on any Pull
Request, and on any line of any commit.

> I hear about it more and more often as an argument why it makes git
> better than svn

It was not my goal to argue that "Gerrit makes Git better than SVN" but
rather than good code review tools make code review *much* easier.

Git is better than SVN for many, many reasons that have nothing to do with
code review tools. :-P

> yes, with git, you can: with git, so much things can be done. But once
> again, I didn't see anybody do it, because it's a lot of work. And it
> requires to be a git black belt.

As a programmer, revision control in one of your bread-and-butter tools.
Shouldn't you be taking the time to become a VCS black belt? Doing so will
save you loads of time in the long run, for the same reasons that becoming
a command line master, or an IDE master, or a master of *any* effective
productivity tool, will. Embrace Larry Wall's virtues of the programmer --
laziness, impatience and hubris -- and always seek the better, faster path!
Computers are different than other skill sets: a professional sprinter may
be able to sprint 2x or 3x or even 5x faster than you, but a professional
programmer can accomplish a task on a computer thousands or even millions
of times faster than a neophyte... *if* the programmer has a thirst for
knowledge and self-improvement.

</soapbox>

Anyway, yes, my colleagues and I *do* use Git in this way: work on topic
branches, rewrite history to make review easier, and sometimes file Pull
Requests on GitHub to specifically invite review for possibly disruptive
changes.

I'm not really sure what to point you at here, other than the "Contribution
Activity" section of my GitHub page:
https://github.com/ctrueden
Of course, it is changing all the time...

Regards,
Curtis