maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] On the Maven PMC roles... (was [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave...)
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 15:41:04 GMT
On 2 August 2013 16:32, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> Furthermore, I'd like to see explicit procedural rules on Maven Core and
> forking. For example, if there's a critical component needing development
> for Core, and a PMC expresses that such development will be done outside of
> Apache and then used as a dependency, shouldn't there be a vote on that?

Votes should be a tool to confirm consensus... not an iron hand.

If the consensus of the developers is to use the dependency which is
external to the project, then that is fine. If there is no consensus then
the dependency will not be introduced.

We already have a policy that adding Category B dependencies to Core
requires approval of the PMC, I don't see that there is much value in
adding even more to this document... but if you can suggest a patch and
people agree with it...

-Stephen