maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <>
Subject Re: Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2013 08:31:39 GMT
I had all this "fun" when trying to name the Apache Maven plugin for Apache

So here goes,

"Apache Maven" and "Maven" are two trademarks that the Apache Maven PMC is
tasked with protecting.

Thus they are only allowed to be used by the Apache Maven PMC.

We sought and got an exemption for permitting the pattern "____ Maven
Plugin" because that pattern makes it clear that the software product is a
plugin for Maven.

Thus the full name of the Apache Maven Plugin for Apache Cassandra is:
"Mojo's Cassandra Maven Plugin"... this name has to dance the fun of making
it clear that the software product is neither originating from Cassandra
nor Maven. If the Cassandra project had agreed to host the plugin, then we
could have simply called it "Cassandra Maven Plugin".

So the short answer is: Unless the plugin is released by the Apache Maven
project, you must name it according to the pattern "____ Maven Plugin"
*and* you must ACK the Apache, Apache Maven and Maven trademarks.

It does not matter whether you are an Apache project or not. The Apache
Maven PMC is tasked with ensuring that the marks delegated to us are
protected. The same responsibility for their marks falls on all the other
Apache PMCs and thus if the Apache Maven project wanted to host a Tomcat or
a Cassandra or a Flex plugin for Maven we would similarly have to assess
what the trademark usages those PMCs permit are and try to identify a way
of complying with those projects exemptions... (thankfully as Maven is our
mark we can put it wherever we like in the name when the project is hosted
by the Apache Maven project)

On 6 August 2013 07:50, <