maven-users mailing list archives

From SARTAJ HUNDAL <vektor.kni...@gmail.com>
Subject re: agency theory and software development
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:01:33 GMT
Given the future of computation and being in a technological
singularity, how do we divert a total disaster when the 'machines' have
solid bodies? Since Hume, we have had theories about "ghosts in the
machine", and if we look even at the beginnings of AI since MIT, it's
clear that the software often has a mind of its own and takes us on
courses we never intended to go on.

Finite-state automata, with no solution to the Halting problem, actually
have exhibited free will and agency. In that respect, how do we
reclassify our notions of human and animal rights when such a species
actually has the entire compendium of human history, knowledge and the
universe? Think Data from Star Trek.