maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] On the Maven PMC roles... (was [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave...)
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2013 02:06:09 GMT
On Aug 2, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> I've stated from the beginning of this thread that it's impossible to
> prevent someone from developing outside of Apache. I stand by that still.
> That can't be prevented and any attempt will fail since it's not practical.
>
> If my words today aren't clear, I'll try again. My stance isn't about
> halting developing elsewhere, but to halt what I (and maybe some others)
> perceive as a way of getting around the Apache community.
>
> I won't use your "ultra whizzbang high performance logging" :-) example
> because it doesn't fit what my concern; but imagine an existing component
> (I won't name any) that is critical and Maven's existence and Maven can't
> function without it. It's very easy for any PMC member to go to another OSS
> community, develop it, and then kind of leave the other PMCs with no real
> "choice" but to use it because the code realizes the future of Maven. Those
> other PMCs are really backed into a corner; they have no real recourse to
> preventing this, lest Maven development is simply halted altogether. The
> other OSS community has other committers, other mailing lists, other
> deliberations, etc. Community work and input becomes marginalized here.
>
> Does this make sense to you? That kind of community-splitting effort needs
> to stop and that's what I am trying to address.

The cat b / core pmc rule was already adopted to address cases like
this. The pmc voted to allow the previous cases so its not like
anything magical happened here. I don't think we need to be overly
broad to spell out every operating rule in the roles and
responsibilities. Keeping tabs on situations like that is exactly the
role of the pmc and I believe the document covers that sufficiently.