maven-users mailing list archives

From TenLeftFingers <jarlathre...@gmail.com>
Subject Making parent pom the absolute authority over it's children's versioning
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:01:29 GMT
I have a project laid out like this:

+parent-project
 -child-project1
 +child-project2
  -src
  -child-project2.pom
 parent-project.pom

The parent defines its own version:
  <version>4.4.5-SNAPSHOT</version>

And child-project two has in it's pom:
  <parent>
		  <groupId>com.company.it.apps</groupId>
		  <artifactId>parent-project</artifactId>
		  <version>4.4.5-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </parent>

The issue I'm having is that I want the person doing the builds to only have
to change the <version> in the parent-project. I want the child-projects to
*take* their version from there so that he only has to make one change. But
if I change the child to declare it's own version as:

  <version>${parent.version}</version>

this actually takes it from the version declared in the child .pom. Yet, if
I don't delcare the version in the child pom it won't know which version of
the parent to go for...

Am I trying to do the impossible? I don't want to have every child's pom
modified to go from SNAPSHOT to release because in reality the projects are
much larger.

Thanks & regards,
Ten