maven-users mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <r...@gold-family.us>
Subject Re: Any reason ant should compile faster?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 04:43:54 GMT
It builds now because Javac is able to handle this case - as long as it all happens in the
same compile. For those of us used to older languages that compiled one class at a time under
the covers, and proceeded in order through each source file, it sounds odd, but javac has
been doing this since at least 1.02.

Short answer: I cannot break the graph at present, so it all has to happen in one compile
- and that's really unfortunate as the coupled classes include half of two major subsystems,
a third of another, and bits and pieces of a dozen more.

It's very frustrating.

On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:34 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> On 24/07/2013 10:56 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
>> Exactly. Which I cannot do because these classes are public and our customers rely
on them. If I break the graph, that means changing a behavior that a customer might be using,
and that would be a serious problem.

>> I am pushing to deprecate the entire graph and provide a completely different api
that won't have these problems, but even if I get that approved, we have to support this for
several releases.

>> If there's an alternative, I'm all ears.

> I am not sure how you build them now!
> If you can build this now, you can break the graph in the same way and put them in dependent
projects.

> How many of these cyclical graphs do you have?
>
> Once you break the graph you should be able to end up with a set of modules that the
customers can continue to use as A,B,C and D even if D no longer depends on A or C no longer
depends on D.