maven-users mailing list archives

From Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any reason ant should compile faster?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:31:11 GMT
> The case I'm wondering about now is one where we have over 10,000
> source files in a directory, and compile them bit-by-bit. One step specifies
> about 300 files, and thanks to javac dependency logic, actually compiles
> about 4000 files in ant.

Is there any way you can break that into 10 projects with 1k files
each, or 20 projects with 500 files each, etc? I have found dramatic
improvements in (Java compiling) speed as a result of breaking huge
projects like this into a series of much smaller projects with
dependencies between the projects etc as needed.

Having said that, 20 seconds for 4k files sounds pretty quick! Sorry
but I'm not sure how to explain the 20 sec vs 90 sec results you're
experiencing. I'd check versions of everything and flags sent to
compilers etc via -X.

Wayne