maven-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any reason ant should compile faster?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:28:11 GMT
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Russell Gold <russ@gold-family.us> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe somebody else has run into this. I'm converting a really messy 200-ant-script build
to maven, and some steps seems to run a lot slower, now.

> The case I'm wondering about now is one where we have over 10,000 source files in a directory,
and compile them bit-by-bit. One step specifies about 300 files, and thanks to javac dependency
logic, actually compiles about 4000 files in ant.

> I have converted this to maven by moving the 4000 files into the maven project src/main/java
tree. Maven, of course, tells javac to compile all 4000 files.

> In ant, this step takes about 20 seconds. In maven, it takes about 90 seconds. Any ideas
why?

Maybe just because the staleness check used by the
maven-compiler-plugin (or is it plexus-compiler?) now scans the 4000
files whereas your Ant script only scanned 300 files.
The way the compiler is invoked might play a role too, the default
depends on the version of the maven-compiler-plugin (and
plexus-compiler) you're using.

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/