maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave (was Re: svn commit: r1506778 - /maven/site/trunk/content/markdown/project-roles.md)
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:39:19 GMT
On Thursday, 25 July 2013, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> The last thing that you need is a bunch of smart committed people who talk
> about doing stuff the "Apache way" but don't actually write code or
> participate in supporting users.

The key thing is it is not just about writing code.

We need people to help on the mailing lists

We need people to identify bogus/valid bug reports

We need people to document how to use/extend maven

Also somebody else said they think maven needs a strong leader... The ASF
does not want a single "leader" for a project. The closest you might get is
the PMC as a whole. There is no dictator in an Apache project (benevolent
or not)

>From outside you might think the PMC Chair is the "leader"... Wrong, they
are just the (un)lucky victim that gets the legal responsibilities that the
ASF board needs to vest in an officer of the foundation...

The PMC chair is there *to serve* the PMC.

Right now there is a need for strong leadership of this project. While the
project remains at the ASF that means a strong PMC... And right now this is
a PMC somewhat fractured over the core issue I started this thread with...

If you want to help this project, I suggest you engage this debate...
Saying it is the wrong debate actually misses the point and will just
further the festering that has lead some to disengage from this project.

There are other debates we can and should have, but right now this is one
we *need* to have, not because I want to have it, or because I enjoy this
type of debate, but because we have reached a stagnant position and it
needs to change... I don't mind which direction too much mind