maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave (was Re: svn commit: r1506778 - /maven/site/trunk/content/markdown/project-roles.md)
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:03:09 GMT
As part of trying to kick this project back to life, we need to grow both
committers and the PMC.

One of the issues with growing either is determining if potential
candidates are the "right sort of person".

There is a disagreement in the PMC as to whether "dedication to the Maven
project community" is relevant to such discussions.

For growing committers, this is usually a small issue, if at all.

For growing the PMC it can be quite contentious, especially when
considering "controversial" candidates.

In an effort to try and harmonise the PMC, I - as one of the fence sitters
- started this debate... In essence calling on that group that trumps the
PMC... ie the community.

John posted the proposed - remember we are CTR not RTC - addition to the
page I started, at least as a stalking horse (or perhaps it is his
opinion... I will leave it up to him to state his position)

On Thursday, 25 July 2013, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> So what's outlined in those paragraphs have counter examples at the ASF. I
> do not believe it is a bad thing to have alternative distributions or
> forks, and it doesn't matter where they are. What you are saying is that
> committers are obliged to share all their work with other committers. Which
> is more coercion than a matter of choice. For all work that happens within
> the bounds of the ASF absolutely. Core changes should not be made projects
> without discussion. That's a good rule and helps with stability. For work
> that happens outside the bounds of the ASF an author is obliged to do
> nothing of the sort and the assert as much is absurd quite honestly. What
> right does the ASF have over work that is not done at Apache?
>
> In fact there are people on the ASF Board who belong to companies that
> have long standing forks and/or alternative distributions of ASF projects.
> Look at Hadoop: there are two companies that have people on PMCs who
> maintain alternative distributions with code that does not exist in
> standard distributions. Both Cloudera and HortonWorks maintain versions of
> Hadoop that are not compatible and/or have different code than the version
> from Apache. There is selective patching and additions made to try and
> provide a better distribution of Hadoop. I don't think this is a bad thing.
> This also happens with Cassandra and the people who work at Datastax where
> an alternative distribution is made. I don't know as much about what is in
> those distributions insofar as code that doesn't exist in the standard
> Apache distribution. Again, I don't think this is a bad thing. I'm sure
> they would all tell you that they are trying to make a better version of
> said project, they work with customers, work at a different pace and hope
> to integrate their work back in later if possible.
>
> If this is a sideways attempt to address what I'm doing in Tesla, which is
> what it appears like to me, then just start a discussion on the dev list.
> Happy to discuss it.

It would be great if you could have that discussion on the dev list any
way... But what prompted me to prod John to commit the text and me to start
this discussion is a long running debate on the PMC private list as to what
kind of person should be on the PMC... By long running I mean that some
aspects of this are more than a year old and have been in mails since
before you started to re-engage with the project.

That does not mean that the stuff you are doing at Tesla is not relevant or
a trigger for trying to sort out the disconnect between two camps in the
PMC... More that it is being considered in a common context of an ongoing
debate, and in an effort to resolve the debate we are asking those we are
supposed to serve for their input.

HTH

--
Sent from my phone