maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave (was Re: svn commit: r1506778 - /maven/site/trunk/content/markdown/project-roles.md)
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:37:04 GMT
The Apache Foundation values Community over Code.

Merit is thus not just a question about writing "the best code" but helping
and fostering the community around that code.

This in deciding committers we need people who are "good enough" *both*
socially and technically. This can be a mix, eg one very good technical
person who is poor socially can be counterweighted by a good social person
who is (comparatively poor technically... But sufficiently socially aware
of their technical ability)

If you don't like "community over code", then Apache may not be the place
for you... And that's ok.

But as you step up in engagement with an Apache community, you should be at
least ok with the ASF values.

How that impacts what it means to be on the PMC is therefore relevant.

Should it be a strong step and we only take people into the PMC that
repeatedly demonstrate that they value the community over code (large code
dumps from long running private forks are not community friendly to a lot
of people's mind... Repeatedly causing conflict within the community is
another)? Or should we say the PMC is just to perform the legal duty and
leave the "religion" to members of the ASF?

That is what needs to be answered