maven-users mailing list archives

From "Sankaran, Nambi" <nsanka...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community to behave (was Re: svn commit: r1506778 - /maven/site/trunk/content/markdown/project-roles.md)
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:12:01 GMT
+1

The candidates should be people who contribute in terms of code/patch.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:jason@tesla.io]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:56 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Should the Maven PMC be an example of how we want the Maven Community
to behave (was Re: svn commit: r1506778 - /maven/site/trunk/content/markdown/project-roles.md)

On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:03 PM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> As part of trying to kick this project back to life, we need to grow
> both committers and the PMC.

You don't need either. You need people who do work. People who do work may happen to be a
committer or PMC member but you have it backward. You need a lot of people who do a lot of
work to drive a project forward.

> One of the issues with growing either is determining if potential
> candidates are the "right sort of person".

People who do work. I'm not sure how you decide the "right sort of person" if it's not based
in the actual contributions to the project. Not what might be contributed, but what has actually
been contributed.

> There is a disagreement in the PMC as to whether "dedication to the
> Maven project community" is relevant to such discussions.

Are not people who do work dedicated? Are not people who have done the most work the most
dedicated? To me doing work is the whole basis of a meritocracy, doing work is table stakes
for being on the PMC and is first condition at least in a meritocracy.

> For growing committers, this is usually a small issue, if at all.
>
> For growing the PMC it can be quite contentious, especially when
> considering "controversial" candidates.

Discussions should be about the work that is being done on the project. Everything outside
of that is not within the purview of the discussion. How can it be? It's generally looking
at the contributions over the last 6 months or a year and making a decision based on the merit
of that work.

> In an effort to try and harmonise the PMC, I - as one of the fence
> sitters
> - started this debate... In essence calling on that group that trumps
> the PMC... ie the community.
>
> John posted the proposed - remember we are CTR not RTC - addition to
> the page I started, at least as a stalking horse (or perhaps it is his
> opinion... I will leave it up to him to state his position)
>
> On Thursday, 25 July 2013, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> So what's outlined in those paragraphs have counter examples at the
>> ASF. I do not believe it is a bad thing to have alternative
>> distributions or forks, and it doesn't matter where they are. What
>> you are saying is that committers are obliged to share all their work
>> with other committers. Which is more coercion than a matter of
>> choice. For all work that happens within the bounds of the ASF
>> absolutely. Core changes should not be made projects without
>> discussion. That's a good rule and helps with stability. For work
>> that happens outside the bounds of the ASF an author is obliged to do
>> nothing of the sort and the assert as much is absurd quite honestly. What right does
the ASF have over work that is not done at Apache?

> [...]
this is a bad thing.
>> This also happens with Cassandra and the people who work at Datastax
>> where an alternative distribution is made. I don't know as much about
>> what is in those distributions insofar as code that doesn't exist in
>> the standard Apache distribution. Again, I don't think this is a bad
>> thing. I'm sure they would all tell you that they are trying to make
>> a better version of said project, they work with customers, work at a
>> different pace and hope to integrate their work back in later if possible.
>>
>> If this is a sideways attempt to address what I'm doing in Tesla,
>> which is what it appears like to me, then just start a discussion on the dev list.
>> Happy to discuss it.
>

> It would be great if you could have that discussion on the dev list
> any way... But what prompted me to prod John to commit the text and me
> to start this discussion is a long running debate on the PMC private
> list as to what kind of person should be on the PMC... By long running
> I mean that some aspects of this are more than a year old and have
> been in mails since before you started to re-engage with the project.
>
> That does not mean that the stuff you are doing at Tesla is not
> relevant or a trigger for trying to sort out the disconnect between
> two camps in the PMC... More that it is being considered in a common
> context of an ongoing debate, and in an effort to resolve the debate
> we are asking those we are supposed to serve for their input.
>
> HTH
>

>> But if someone posits that all work related to an Apache project has
>> to be done at Apache, then I will say that is a ridiculous
>> supposition and you can find ten counter examples in ten minutes if you went looking.
>>
>> On Jul 25, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Stephen Connolly <
>> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

>> actions

>> long-running
>>>

>>> I will not speak for the author of the proposed revision, but my
>>> understanding of the intent is that these forks should be hosted on
>>> ASF hardware in public and as part of our community.
>>>
>>> It's not about no forking, but allowing the committers to have an
>>> ongoing view of things in the community.
>>>
>>> Any committer is free to edit the wording if they want right now...
>>> The
>> doc
>>> is a work in progress proposal

>> especially)

>> act as

>> they
>> be
>> merging

>> those

>> opinion

>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises
>> in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)