maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: continuous releasing: versions:set and/or release:update-version to release an aggregator project
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:27:05 GMT
On 30/07/2013 4:46 PM, Nestor Urquiza wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> I have been using Maven the same way like you since 2007. However things
> have changed in our current shop. We want continuous releasing and for that
> we desperately need to automate versioning.
Can you explain how this affects version numbers.
> We do not need to maintain it
> manually anymore, any commit is a potential release for us.
I am not sure what this means.
It is true for some cases depending on what you mean by a commit.
We "commit" a lot of projects to Subversion that are just a set of
classes/packages that one programmer has finished but the project may
require some more work to complete the changes that need to be done to
satisfy all of thegoals of the release.

> Anybody else? I am trying really hard to stick to Maven as I have been doing
> for so many years since I departed from ant. This two plugins could resolve
> the continuous delivery support while still keeping maven as the tool for
> organizing the project.
Perhaps you can add more details about what you are looking for and what
alternative solutions would get you back on the road again.
Perhaps you can explain how Maven could identify all the projects that
need changing if the company is developing or supporting multiple
applications.
At any time we have 4 or 5 applications that are "active" in one sense
or another and I am sure that big organizations might have 50+
applications under active support or development.
Identifying which ones you want to have the same version will require a
list somewhere.

I hope that these comments help.

Ron

> Thanks!